HomeColumbiaNew investigative team to address unclaimed $1.8 billion at South Carolina State...

New investigative team to address unclaimed $1.8 billion at South Carolina State House

Columbia, South Carolina – A new investigative team has been set up to explore a significant issue involving $1.8 billion at the South Carolina State House. This initiative was started by Governor Henry McMaster, who, after discussions on Thursday with leaders from four major state agencies, decided to establish the task force.

“He charged them to work together as a group in order to determine the existence, purpose and intended destination of the $1.8 billion in question before July 1,” Brandon Charochak, a spokesman for the governor, said in a statement.”… The governor believes the public’s confidence is best maintained when elected officials and agencies work together to solve problems through collaboration, cooperation and communication.”

The governor’s office announced that the Department of Administration, led by Executive Director Marcia Adams, will take the lead in this task force. The meeting included McMaster, Adams, Treasurer Curtis Loftis, Comptroller General Brian Gaines, and State Auditor George Kennedy, along with their staff and representatives from the Attorney General’s Office.

The formation of this task force precedes the anticipated publication of a report and recommendations from a Senate committee looking into the $1.8 billion of state funds that have been unclaimed for several years. The source of these funds remains a mystery, although a prominent state legislator has pointed fingers at Loftis, the state treasurer.

Read also: SC authorities will start issuing fines for so-called “squatted” vehicles starting May 10

“Our observations are that these problems originated in the treasurer’s office, that you have not accepted responsibility for them in seven years since they occurred, and that the records of the treasury are mess,” Sen. Larry Grooms, R – Berkeley, said to Loftis during an April 2 Senate Finance subcommittee meeting that stretched several hours, during most of which senators grilled the treasurer.

Loftis, the Treasurer, stated that he invested the $1.8 billion, which generated approximately $200 million in interest. He criticized Gaines, the Comptroller, for poor communication and for trying to shift the blame from his own office to the Treasurer’s office. On the other hand, Gaines argued that it was Loftis’ duty to address the problem and to inform lawmakers about the existence of the money, something Gaines himself did last fall. Governor McMaster appointed Gaines to the role of Comptroller, a position usually elected and regarded as the state’s chief accountant, following the resignation of the long-serving Comptroller General Richard Eckstrom last year.

Eckstrom stepped down amid revelations of a $3.5 billion mistake in the state’s financial records, a blunder stemming from funds being counted twice over several years as South Carolina moved from one accounting system to another. Unlike that incident, which turned out to be a mere accounting error, the $1.8 billion in question is considered actual money.

Read also: Battle over budget priorities in South Carolina

“After a year of confusion and division it is heartwarming to see collaboration and communication. Many thanks to the Governor, the four agency heads and their staffs for making this happen,” Loftis wrote Friday on his Facebook page.

Latest

Savannah Grove Road leak triggers urgent repairs and widespread low water pressure

Florence, South Carolina - A broken water line turned...

New housing project puts Downtown Florence at the forefront of statewide revitalization

Florence, South Carolina - Downtown Florence’s revival is no...

Florence invites local programs to turn opioid settlement funds into community action

Florence, South Carolina - Florence organizations working on the...

Newsletter

Random articles

Henry Hall
Henry Hall
News Desk Lead Henry Hall leads the news desk and directs coverage of breaking news, public safety, local government, and investigative reporting. A journalist with several years of experience, he previously reported and edited at daily newspapers across South Carolina and the Southeast. Henry is known for building deep sources throughout Florence County and for his ability to translate complex issues into reporting that matters to residents. A longtime resident of the Florence area, he is deeply invested in the community he covers.

Savannah Grove Road leak triggers urgent repairs and widespread low water pressure

Florence, South Carolina - A broken water line turned an ordinary morning into an urgent repair operation along Savannah Grove Road. City Utility crews...

West Florence graduate returns home for distinguished honor after building national healthcare brand

Florence, South Carolina - A West Florence High School diploma became the starting point for a healthcare career that now reaches tens of thousands...

New housing project puts Downtown Florence at the forefront of statewide revitalization

Florence, South Carolina - Downtown Florence’s revival is no longer being measured only by storefronts, restaurants and office space. Its latest statewide honor centers...