HomeColumbiaColumbia requires minors to have adult supervision at Finlay Park after 5...

Columbia requires minors to have adult supervision at Finlay Park after 5 p.m. after temp rule becomes permanent

Columbia, South Carolina – The City of Columbia is turning a temporary safety step at Finlay Park into a permanent rule, following concerns about possible youth “takeover” gatherings and a disruption during the city’s Juneteenth celebration.

Under the new policy, anyone age 17 or younger must be with a parent, legal guardian, or responsible adult age 21 or older to enter or stay in Finlay Park after 5:00 p.m. The rule applies seven days a week, from 5:00 p.m. until the park closes.

City officials said the decision grew out of events that began in May, when Columbia received several intelligence reports pointing to a possible “teen takeover” at Finlay Park events.

Read also: City of Columbia invites residents to apply for seats on city boards and commissions and help shape local decisions

In response, the city put a temporary policy in place, requiring juveniles to be accompanied by an adult during those evening hours. Officials described the move as a precaution meant to protect visitors and keep the park safe and welcoming.

The City of Columbia is turning a temporary safety step at Finlay Park into a permanent rule, following concerns about possible youth “takeover” gatherings and a disruption during the city’s Juneteenth celebration.
Courtesy of City of Columbia

Since then, the city says there have been no complaints or incidents connected to teen takeovers inside Finlay Park. Officials also said no other takeover events have happened there, even though recent reports had promoted similar gatherings. However, the city noted that there was no such intelligence before the June 20 Juneteenth events and concert, showing that these incidents can happen without advance warning.

Read also: Trust in South Carolina government depends on solving problems residents see daily

The permanent policy includes supervision requirements for chaperones. It also allows exemptions for approved events, work-related or organized activities, and permitted group functions.

City Manager Teresa Wilson, Columbia Police Chief W.H. “Skip” Holbrook, and other officials addressed the issue during a media briefing after the Juneteenth Celebration incident at Finlay Park. They discussed what happened, the public safety response, and the steps the city plans to take moving forward.

Chief Holbrook said he was “frustrated and disappointed” that the Juneteenth community event was disrupted by groups of young people involved in fights and disorderly behavior.

“This is not who we are as a community, and we must all share in the responsibility of ensuring that something like this never happens again,” he said.

Wilson also praised SC Juneteenth Freedom Fest organizers Tina Torres and Jamal Bradley, saying they did “a phenomenal job” and should be commended.

Read also: Harriet Hancock Center to host Columbia discussion on safety, allyship and prevention on June 23

She added, “I still believe in the good within our children and young people, however it pains me to see the behaviors and acts of a few overshadow the positive, empowering actions of our youth who are making a difference. There will be no toleration for these takeover incidents in our community.”

City officials said efforts will continue to keep public spaces and community events safe, family-friendly, and enjoyable for residents and visitors.

Latest

Savannah Grove Road leak triggers urgent repairs and widespread low water pressure

Florence, South Carolina - A broken water line turned...

New housing project puts Downtown Florence at the forefront of statewide revitalization

Florence, South Carolina - Downtown Florence’s revival is no...

Florence invites local programs to turn opioid settlement funds into community action

Florence, South Carolina - Florence organizations working on the...

Newsletter

Random articles

Easton Griffin
Easton Griffin
Staff writer – In-Depth & Analysis Easton Griffin specializes in in-depth reporting and analysis on the social, economic, and quality-of-life issues shaping Florence County and the broader Pee Dee. With a background in data-informed journalism and narrative storytelling, Easton examines topics including housing, healthcare access, education, and workforce development. Before joining Florence News Journal, Easton contributed to digital news platforms and research-driven reporting projects across South Carolina. With additional training in data journalism, Easton is committed to producing reporting that helps readers understand not only what is happening, but why it matters.

Savannah Grove Road leak triggers urgent repairs and widespread low water pressure

Florence, South Carolina - A broken water line turned an ordinary morning into an urgent repair operation along Savannah Grove Road. City Utility crews...

West Florence graduate returns home for distinguished honor after building national healthcare brand

Florence, South Carolina - A West Florence High School diploma became the starting point for a healthcare career that now reaches tens of thousands...

New housing project puts Downtown Florence at the forefront of statewide revitalization

Florence, South Carolina - Downtown Florence’s revival is no longer being measured only by storefronts, restaurants and office space. Its latest statewide honor centers...