HomeNationalSen. Schumer says ‘Trump shaking hands with himself to fund his insurrectionist...

Sen. Schumer says ‘Trump shaking hands with himself to fund his insurrectionist army’, people ask him to ‘retire and go away’

New York – The latest dispute surrounding President Donald Trump has opened a new and bitter front in Washington, this time over a Justice Department settlement that created a nearly $1.8 billion fund for people and groups who claim they were unfairly targeted by federal investigations or prosecutions.

For Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York, the deal is not just another legal fight connected to Trump.

It is, in his view, a dangerous example of government power being turned inward to reward the president’s own political world.

For Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York, the deal is not just another legal fight connected to Trump.
Credit: The WH

Read also: Sen. Cruz’s endorsement video triggers total revolt from Trump loyalists: “We are tired of you, you’ve failed conservatives”

The controversy grew out of a lawsuit Trump and his family filed against the IRS after the 2019 leak of his tax returns by a former contractor. The lawsuit sought $10 billion.

Trump also had related claims seeking more than $230 million in compensation tied to earlier investigations. Instead of fighting the case in court, the Trump administration’s Justice Department reached a settlement that allowed Trump to drop the lawsuit and those related claims.

Credit: RawPiexel

Read also: “A campaign debut”: Trump sends Hegseth to destroy Massie, he might use it as launchpad for 2028 White House bid

In return, the Justice Department created what is being called the “Anti-Weaponization Fund.” The fund totals $1.776 billion, a figure widely noted for its symbolic connection to 1776.

It is drawn from existing federal judgment funds and is meant to compensate individuals and entities who say they were wrongly investigated, prosecuted, or targeted through what Trump’s allies describe as political “weaponization” and “lawfare” under previous administrations, especially during the Biden years.

For Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York, the deal is not just another legal fight connected to Trump.
Credit: DOJ

Trump and his businesses are not receiving a direct cash payment under the arrangement. They are, however, receiving a formal apology.

Read also: “Your caught red handed. Game over”: Newsom’s attack on JD Vance and defending fraud in California triggers massive public roasting

That detail has done little to calm critics, who argue that the settlement still carries the appearance of self-dealing because Trump’s own Justice Department resolved a case brought by Trump and then created a massive pool of taxpayer-backed money that could benefit people aligned with him.

The fund will be overseen by a five-member commission appointed by the attorney general and operating under presidential oversight. Claims may be reviewed through late 2028.

For Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York, the deal is not just another legal fight connected to Trump.
Credit: Sen. Schumer’s Office

Critics have pointed to the broad eligibility rules and limited court supervision as reasons for concern, warning that the process could become a pipeline for payments to Trump supporters, political allies, and potentially people charged in connection with the January 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.

Read also: “He refuses to fight. Unacceptable.”: Rep. Luna blasts Sen. Thune for blocking Trump’s SAVE Act, seeks action

That possibility has sharpened the political backlash because many January 6 defendants had already received broad pardons earlier in Trump’s second term. Reports have also noted that some pardons relieved certain defendants of financial obligations, including restitution.

The idea that some of the same people could now seek compensation through a federal fund has enraged Democrats and watchdog groups, who have described the arrangement as a “slush fund.”

Supporters of the settlement see it very differently.

Read also: “We blew up their attempt”: Huge win for Dems, Schumer and Schiff declare total war as Trump’s project is defeated, for now

They argue the fund offers long-delayed relief for people who believe they were politically targeted through investigations into conservative causes, election-related cases, or earlier matters such as the Russia probe. To them, the settlement is not a gift to Trump’s movement, but a corrective tool for Americans who claim the federal government was used against them.

Major news organizations have framed the settlement as extraordinary. PBS NewsHour reported on the creation of the fund as part of the IRS lawsuit resolution and noted its focus on Trump supporters who claim they were targeted.

Read also: “Corruption at the highest level. Total betrayal”: Newsom explodes as Trump is caught in massive stock trading scandal

The Wall Street Journal described it as an unusual settlement fund with minimal oversight.

The New York Times highlighted criticism that it could send taxpayer money toward Trump’s circle, while CNN and The Washington Post also reported concerns that it could operate as a political compensation system.

Schumer moved quickly to make the issue part of the larger national argument over Trump, accountability, and January 6.

Read also: Blanche admits ‘heavy evidence that 2020 race was rigged’ but stops short of guarantees: ”I can’t promise”

Sharing a New York Times article on X, formerly Twitter, he wrote: “Trump pardoned violent insurrectionists who assaulted YOUR Capitol to overturn YOUR votes. And now he wants to give them YOUR hard-earned tax dollars as a reward.”

He followed with an even sharper accusation.

“Trump is shaking hands with himself in order to fund his insurrectionist army to the tune of billions. Of all the corrupt things he has done, this is one of the most depraved.”

The comments beneath Schumer’s posts quickly became another battlefield. Some users backed his warning and accused Trump of using public money to serve loyalists.

Others attacked Schumer, called for his retirement, defended the fund as a response to government abuse, or accused Democrats of ignoring their own side’s political violence and past unrest.

Several commenters dismissed the senator’s message as partisan theater, while others said the settlement deserved deeper scrutiny from Congress.

“Yet we have learned the left wing extremism into that crowd. Learned you cheated. We can read Chuck. I know the ***’s want to keep education lower so you can influence people,” one user commented.

“First word out of your diseased pie hole, TRUMP!  One trick pony huh Schumer? Retire and go away old man. Useless, no ideas, sucking off the system. Cantankerous old fool,” another wrote.

Another accused Dems for abusing their positions, writing: “You willingly participated in the weaponization of the US government against its citizens.”

“Back at it – Schumer’s self serving lust for power ends when Americans think critically. There’s nothing real in this post. It’s Schumer,” @ChwmBlz said.

The fierce reaction showed how little room remains for agreement on the issue.

Read also: Sen. Cruz bipartisan victory turns into nightmare as ordinary Americans respond with brutal backlash: “Just a show”

To Trump’s critics, the fund looks like a reward system built through the power of the presidency. To his defenders, it looks like payback for years of investigations they believe were politically driven.

What is clear is that the settlement has turned an old dispute over Trump’s tax records into a much broader fight over money, pardons, justice, and political loyalty. With the fund expected to remain active through 2028, Schumer and other Democrats are unlikely to let the matter fade quietly.

The argument has already moved from court filings to cable news, newspaper coverage, and the comment sections of X, where the anger is still rising.

Latest

Newsletter

From the web

Armed robbery and shoplifting cases prompt new public appeal from Florence police

Florence, South Carolina - Florence police are asking residents to take a close look at several recent public alerts as investigators work to identify...

Trump starts war with Thune as he refuses Trump’s order to ax parliamentarian who blocked ballroom funding

California - California Senator Adam Schiff celebrated a major Democratic victory this weekend after his party successfully blocked the Trump administration’s push to secure...

Spring Golf Classic, originally planned for May 7 and postponed because of weather conditions, has been rescheduled for June 4

Florence, South Carolina - After a weather delay pushed back one of the Florence Chamber’s familiar spring traditions, a new day is now on...