American Legion Post 1 shares information with veterans
To the editor,
The Fred H. Sexton American Legion Post 1 in Florence wishes to make sure that the 20,000 veterans in the Florence-Darlington area are aware of the following:
• The recently enacted legislation named the Legion Act allows all veterans to join the American Legion. There is no longer a requirement to have served during wartime. An honorable discharge and a DD214 form proving your service is all that is required.
• The Veterans Administration has now initiated the Mission Act, which allows veterans seeking a medical specialist to go to a local medical facility. No longer will you have to drive to a VA facility.
• Son of veterans may join the Sons of the American Legion at a local post. A chapter can be formed with ten or more members. Existing legion members whom are also a son of a veteran may join the Sons of the American Legion as dual membership is allowed.
• The American Legion’s Comfort Warrior program gives 100 percent of donations to veterans. The Wounded Warrior program is not a legion program and does have overhead costs before money is given to veterans.
• The American Legion has fought for veterans’ benefits, a strong military, moral upbringing of the nation’s youth, veteran’s affairs and rehabilitation, children and youth, and Americanism. We will not fail those whom we serve. We are the American Legion.
Commander Fred H. Sexton
American Legion Post 1