McClenaghan alumni celebrate 100th year
Alumni from McClenaghan High School gathered and reminisced about the good old days on Thursday as Florence One Schools held a ribbon cutting for its new administrative annex and adult education facility on South Dargan Street. The building, vacant for many years, served as McClenaghan High School for decades. Large yellow and purple banners depicting the former school’s yellow jacket mascot hung on either side of the building front façade. The banners read: “Celebrating 100 Years: McClenaghan High School – 1921-2021.” Prior to enter the building, members of the 100th Year Celebration Committee joined F1S Superintendent Dr. Richard O’Malley, school board members, and city and state officals,n a commemorative ribbon cutting. Photos, newspaper clippings, and memorabilia covered hallway walls. The auditorium, where a brief ceremony was held, was decorated with more memorabilia. S.C. Rep. Terry Alexander, a McClenaghan alumnus and member of the 100th Year Celebration Committee, welcomed those in attendance and offered a few opening remarks. He was followed by F1S Board of Trustees Chairman S. Porter Stewart. Josiellia Williams, a member of the Class of 1975, shared the history of her alma mater. McClenaghan alumni Cathy Bouras, Harry Carson, and Sara Scott–Lee shared memories.Alumni then joined together in singing the McClenaghan fight song McClenaghan closed its doors in 1975 and students began attending Wilson, West and South Florence high schools. Florence One began renovating the facility a year ago. The first floor now serves as an adult education facility. The top two floors will be administrative offices formerly located at the now-vacant central office.