Community garden grants available
Do you love fresh vegetables and fruits? Do you want to spend more time being creative? Do you want to be a part of helping your neighborhood and school be an even better place? Consider a garden!
The City of Florence, in conjunction with Eat Smart Move More – Florence Chapter, is offering a grant to schools. The grant covers garden design and construction for up to three new school gardens in the city limits or for FSD1 schools whose zones cross into the city limits.
The goal of the gardens is to enhance neighborhoods and schools, provide a new source for fresh food, and provide students another resource to enhance their education. For-profit gardens are not eligible for this grant.
Deadline is Oct. 11 for preliminary application. Finalists will be notified by Oct. 18. Final application will be due Oct. 31st with decisions by Nov. 12. Gardens will be designed and built between Nov. 15 and Feb. 28.
An application can be found at the City of Florence web site, www.cityofflorence.com.
This is a design and construction grant. The ESMM coalition’s grant provides:
• The design and layout for each garden in consultation with the recipients.**
• The built structure for the garden.
• A water source with hookup for a hose.
• Backfill or bottom layer soil material for the beds.
• Gardening advice or management assistance from the Florence County Master Gardeners and DHEC Community Services.
City property may be considered for garden locations.
The grant does not provide tools, hoses, topsoil, plants, or garden maintenance.