The Flamingo Restaurant, located at 522 South Irby Street was opened by Gus Hondros in 1963. Andrew Kampiziones later joined him and ran the business until the property was purchased by Florence General Hospital in the mid 1980s. Photo courtesy of Helen D
THE BEACON DRIVE-IN – Mitchell Chris Palles stands with his cousins visiting from New York in 1963. The Beacon, located on S. Irby Street, was owned and operated by Mr. Palles and his brother-in-law Pete Costas. It opened around 1952 and closed in 1968.