Calvin and Fallon perfecting their cha cha routine
By BRENDA HARRISON Editor of The News Journal Florence, S.C.
The Rev. Calvin Robinson and Fallon Frierson are depending on faith, hope and charity, along with many rehearsals, to take them to the winners spotlight at the upcoming Dancing For Our Future Stars competition on March 22. The couple will cha cha to Marvin Gaye’s “Gotta Give It Up.”
The Rev. Robinson is the pastor at Trinity Baptist Church in Florence. Before agreeing to participate in this major fund raiser for The School Foundation, he hadn’t danced in a long time, he said.
His congregation has been very positive and supportive about his participation, he added.
Fallon is a senior at Wilson High School and plans to attend North Carolina A&T State University in the fall. She has been dancing since age 2, and participated in similar dance contests in Cheraw and Camden.
“I think Fallon is excellent. She makes it easy for me,” commented Calvin.
Fallon praised the Rev. Robinson saying, “He is a wonderful partner. I can tell he has been practicing, and he is looking good.”
Calvin and Fallon will square-off with the other celebrities and dance professionals at the SiMT on March 22 for a chance to win the coveted mirror ball trophy at this 8th annual dance competition. A reception will begin at 6 p.m. followed by the competition at 7 p.m. Guests will have an opportunity to win a custom-designed jewelry piece donated by Lisa and Lex Matthews of Southern Jewelry Design.
The remaining dance couples for this year’s event are:
• Dr. Lisa Bishara (McLeod Health) and Joseph Steen
• Louie Callahan (Burch Oxner Seale Co., CPAs) and Alexis McDonald
• Ken Baker (WMBF News) and Mary Grace Colburn
• Ron Glancy (Raines Hospitality) and Tiffany Welsh
• David Hall (First Reliance Bank) and Erin Haynes
• Dr. Ramzy Hourany (Carolinas Hospital System) and Julia Thompson
• Jammie McDonald (First Citizens Bank) and Cole Davis
• Joey McMillan (Coldwell Banker McMillan and Associates) and Katelyn Rodgers
• Chris Rogers (Carver Elementary School) and Morgan Truitt
• Robbie Timms (BB&T) and Meggie Baker
• Les Ward (Pepsi of Florence, LLC/Pee Dee Food Service) and Mallory Baxley
Fans may vote online for their favorite couple(s) at DancingForOurFutureStarsOfFlorence.com for $10 per vote. The “People’s Choice” mirror ball trophies will be awarded to the three couples raising the most votes.
A panel of judges will name one couple “Technical Skills Winner” based on the contestants’ overall skills. One couple will also be chosen as “Most Entertaining” by the judges. Dancers receiving the largest number of online votes will be awarded the “Social Stars” trophy.
All proceeds from this major fund-raising event will go to The School Foundation. To date, the foundation has provided over $1,355,377 in grants to FSD1 educators.
To learn more about The School Foundation, visit their website at www.theschoolfoundation.org.