FLORENCE POLICE TRAFFIC OFFICERS – From left, Andy Griffiin, S.M. Anderson, Richard Moore, J.C. Blackwell and Lt. Ray Eason are pictured in the traffic office in 1974. Photo courtesy of J.C. Blackwell.
US 52/S. IRBY STREET LOOKING NORTH IN SPRING OF 1961 Chicken Basket Restaurant parking lot may be seen on the right. Photo from the SC Department of Transportation archives
DOWNTOWN 1969 – This photo was taken on West Evans Street near the corner of Irby and looking southeast. A pay telephone stand is pictured under the concrete canopy. Photo from the 1969 Southside High yearbook.
BROWN MEMORIALS in 1938 when located on McQueen Street (now site of McMillan Federal Building) Photo from a 1938 Florence City Directory, courtesy of Bran Oswalt of Brown Memorials
YOUTH PARTICIPATE in recreational activities in the parking lot behind First Baptist Church in the 1950s.
CORNER OF IRBY AND PALMETTO STREETS IN JULY 1953 Photo From the SCDOT archives
SOUTH CAROLINA HWY. 327 IN OCTOBER 1953 This section of the road, now known as Francis Marion Road was later paved. Photo from SCDOT archives
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, corner of Irby and Palmetto Streets, in July of 1956. The sanctuary, on right, was built in 1951 but the steeple was not added until 10 years later. The building beside the steeple tower was later demolished. Photo courtesy of First Baptist Church.
JAMES “MARCH OF DIMES” JONES, left, gets an autograph by an unidentified lady while Florence Mayor Haskel Thomas assists holding the book. Others two men unidentified. Photo, circa 1949, courtesy of David C. Hewitt.
FLORENCE HIGH YELLOW JACKETS’ 1938 basketball squad included Captain Myers, Billy Jeffers, Clyde Jeffers, Junior Kitchens, Jack Schuyler, Alternate Captain Alvin Graham, James Blackwell, S.L. Cox, J.A. Grimsley and Myers Hicks. Inset, Peggy Hite, was sponsor. Keith Grimsley, assisted by Vernon Hensley, was manager. Photo is from the 1938 Florence High School yearbook.
MCCLENAGHAN GOLF TEAM 1967 – Kneeling, Wesley Tyler, Buddy Bostian, Jim Player, Jimmy Finklea, Jack Jeffords; Standing, Gary Bennett, Hank Walter, Hart Hubbard, Reed Guest, and Johnny Gregory.
MYSTERY PHOTO – David C. Hewitt submits this photo taken by his grandmother, the late Ethel Grantham, who was a local photographer. The date, place and subjects are unknown. Readers who may recognize themselves or someone in the photo may email email@example.com or call 843-667-9656.
IRBY STREET LOOKING NORTH – This 1918 picture postcard shows stately homes along Irby Street, block unknown.
SOUTHSIDE HIGH SCHOOL FALCON FLYLEAF STAFF – From left Gayle Hutchinson, Gloria Keefe, Norma Leach, Jean Pitts and Libby Lee as pictured in the 1967 yearbook, El Falco. The Class of 1967 celebrates their 50th high school reunion this weekend with activities on June 16-17.
TAL WILLIAMS CHEVYLAND ON SOUTH IRBY STREET IN 1967 Photo from the 1967 Southside High School Yearbook
LAKE’S CORNER – F.U. Lake’s Drug Store is pictured on left in this postcard, circa 1920, which also shows businesses along the 100-block of East Evans Street. All of the buildings have since been demolished and a new East Evans Street was cut this year where Lake’s Drug Store was located.
SOAP BOX DERBY – Steve Singleton captured Florence’s 1967 Soap Box Derby Championship and proceeded to Akron, Ohio to compete for the national title. Photo from the 1967 Southside High School yearbook.
MCCLENAGHAN BASEBALL TEAM OF 1967 - Standing from left, Herman Cook, Al Pierce, Eddie Dixon, Dale Gilbert Mike Gilbert, Barry Barrineau, Wayne Wise, Mike McKissick and Roddie Urquhart. Kneeling are Jim Martin, left, Steve Smith, Newt Outlaw, Tammy Ham, Jimmy Bell, Terry Ham and Dale Rhinehart. The team was coached by Fisher DeBerry. Photo from the 1967 yearbook. The Class of 1967 celebrated its 50th high school reunion with activities on May 5 and 6.
DR. MCLEOD WITH THE GRADUATING NURSES FROM THE CLASS OF 1940 ON THE STEPS OF THE MCLEOD INFIRMARY– Photo courtesy of David C. Hewitt
THE HERMAN HOUSE RESTAURANT, 236 WEST PALMETTO STREET, AS PICTURED IN THE 1966 SOUTHSIDE HIGH SCHOOL YEARBOOK
WORLD WAR 1 SOLDIERS ARE PICTURED ON THE FRONT STEPS OF THE POST OFFICE, circa 1918 The only soldier identified in Gus Haynie, second from the right on the first row. He was the grandfather of Ricky Weeks. Anyone who can identify others is asked to call The News Journal at 843-667-9656. Photo submitted by Jennifer Reyna
MULDROW’S MILL IN SOUTH FLORENCE, CIRCA 1960s Photo courtesy of David C. Hewitt
HARDEES ESSO STATION, COLES CROSSROADS Photo is from the 1965 Southside High School Yearbook
ST ANTHONY SCHOOL – Students are lined outside the school building (located behind St. Anthony Catholic Church facing S. Irby Street) for the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States Flag in this early 1960s photo. Photo courtesy of David C. Hewitt of Florence
STEAM ENGINE PASSES OVER PALMETTO STREET UNDERPASS IN 1945 Photo from the S.C. Department of Transportation archives
THE MASONIC TEMPLE is pictured in the 1908 postcard. It is located at the corner of Evans and Irby Streets, across from the Old U.S. Post Office, and last housed the Art Trail Gallery after Bo Smith Furniture. In the 1950s and 60s, Woolworth’s Five and Ten Cents Store occupied the building, minus the third floor which was removed during a renovation in the 1940s. Carolina Bank is the current owner and is in the process of remodeling and restoring this downtown landmark.
THE UNITED STATE POST OFFICE AND FEDERAL BUILDING before the addition of the North wing. Located at the corner of Evans and Irby Streets, the building was completed in 1906 and this photo was taken around that time. After a new main post office and new federal building were completed in 1975, the building was sold to a private investor who leased out office space. Photo courtesy of James Schofield
SHOCKLEY’S VILLAGE SHOP – Located at 167 North Dargan Street. Photo is from the 1967 Southside High School yearbook, courtesy of David Hewitt. Students not identified.
CAPRI THEATRE ON S. IRBY STREET Photo from the 1969 Southside High School Yearbook
McLEOD SCHOOL OF NURSING ADVISORY BOARD. From left Molly Price, the Rev. Curtis Derrick, Phyllis G. Madden, Dr. Walter Mead, chairman, Kenneth Gallier and Dr. Julian Price. Photo from 1960 School of Nursing Yearbook, courtesy of Belinda Bonnoitt.
FLORENCE COUNTY COURTHOUSE before it was demolished in 1973. Brick wall and steps is the right front patio of the newly constructed Florence City-County Complex. The old courthouse was torn down to make way for the parking lot for the new complex. The photo is dated March 18, 1973.
INSIDE THE SHOWROOM AT BOB BYWATER VOLKSWAGEN DEALERSHIP IN 1969 Photo from the Southside High School Yearbook
LOOKING NORTH ON SOUTH IRBY STREET AT INTERSECTION WITH CHEROKEE ROAD Photo from the 1966 Southside High School Yearbook
THE NEWSY HUT WAS LOCATED AT 182 W. EVANS STREET Photo is from the 1969 Southside High School Yearbook
THE HICKORY FARMS STORE LOCATED AT THE FLORENCE MALL in 1966 Photo is from the 1966 Southside High School Yearbook
CENTRAL OIL AND SUPPLY located at 201 North Irby Street as depicted in the 1969 Southside High School yearbook. Above, students show patronage to the auto parts and equipment store.
JUNIOR, SENIOR DANCE at Wilson High School in 1962. From left are Maurice Austin, Edward Anderson, Monya Reese, Henry Thomas, Alphonsa Davis, and Patricia Timmons. The dance theme was ‘Fantasy of the Sea.’ Photo from the 1962 Wilsonian Yearbook.
FLORENCE CHRISTMAS PARADE, CIRCA 1959. Photo by the late Tom Kirkland was taken from the Florence Trust Building.
FLORENCE MALL DURING CHRISTMAS SEASON, circa 1965. Belk’s Department Store is on the right.
MARY A. McCLENAGHAN MILLINERY STORE – A dealer in millinery and ladies goods, the store was located at 14 East Evans Street in the early 1900s. This photo is from the 1905 Florence City Directory.
THIS 1906 POSTCARD DEPICTS THE FLORENCE INFIRMARY, COURTESY OF MCLEOD HEALTH
GRAND OLE OPRY SINGER TEX RITTER, second from left, is pictured in the WJMX Radio studio in the 1950s. From left Joe Lewis Price, Ritter, Ira Dimmery and Jesse Caulder. Photo by the late photographer Ethel Grantham and courtesy of her grandson David Hewitt.
THE SHEIKS, a social club with students at McClenaghan High as members, are pictured in 1960. From left, top row, are Wylie Caldwell, Claude “Whistle” Smith, Larry Younginer, Simons Chase, George Corbin, Alex Stanton, Billy Hoole, John Cook, Tommy Jeffords and unidentified. Second row, Biff Wilcox, girl not identified, Stanley Hackett, boy unidentified, Dickie Lester, unidentified, unidentified, Ken Jewell, Mumford Scott, Jane McIntosh and unidentified. Bottom row, first two not identified, Kay Street, Joyce Rainwater, Becky Wall, Richard Brown, next two girls unidentified and Celeste Allen. Mr. Rat is Joe Baroody.
W.M. WATERS, THE HOME FURNISHER was the exclusive agent for Hoosier Kitchen Cabinets, Bernstein 3-piece beds, Buck’s Stoves and Ranges, Bohn Syphon Refrigerators, Globe-Wernicke Book Cases and Brenlin Window Shades and was a funeral director and embalmer. Now called the Waters Building, it is located downtown on S. Dargan Street. Photo is from an ad in the 1920 Florence City Directory.
FRESHMAN BASKETBALL TEAM AT FLORENCE HIGH SCHOOL IN 1919. Team members include Epps Jones, Mamie Haigh, Catherine Harper, Julie Brunson, Claude Gregg, Louise Williamson, Mary Elizabeth Wysong, Marie Ragsdale, captain, and Johnnie Claire Harrell. Photo from the school yearbook.
DARLINGTON SOUTHERN 500 RACE IN 1952 Photo courtesy of the late T.C. Griffin
McCLENAGHAN GOLF TEAM 1957 – First row, Coach Grant Bennett, Ralph Zlutnik, Gene Stone, Dan Greiner, John Orr, Billy Womack; second row, Hub Anselmo, Walter Hewitt and Roger Cooke.
DARLINGTON RACEWAY – This aerial view of the Darlington Racetrack is from an early 1950s postcard. According to the back of the postcard, the track was build in 1950 and was the first super speedway of its kind. The 1.36 mile facility is located two miles west of Darlington.
CITY HALL – Florence firemen pose in front of the Florence City Hall Building which housed the O’Dowd Theater in this circa 1913 photo. They are on the 100 block of West Evans St. Standing by the fire truck, on left, is Assistant Fire Chief Charles Franklin Hollis. Photo courtesy of the Florence City Fire Department.
THE MCLEOD INFIRMARY AND NURSES HOME ON CHEVES STREET IN THE EARLY 1950s The Florence County Museum now occupies that corner
McCLENAGHAN GOLF TEAM from the 1951 yearbook. Pictured are Jimmy Bass, Vance Brabham, Jim Boyle, Hicks Harwell, Allen Hoffmeyer, Levander Holland, Walter Lawson, George McLeod, Herbert Moody, Haigh Porter, Julian Price, Bobby Robertson, Jimmy Robertson, Jerry Rollins, Ray Thames, Hackie Thomas, Jimmy Tippins and Carl Zimmerman.
605 EAST EVANS STREET – The Florence School of Vocal Culture and Piano Instruction was located in this house which appeared in an ad in the 1905 City Directory. It advertised sight singing, the Virgil Clavier method, technique, breathing and ear training with Mrs. Norma Howle Wysong, a pupil of the A.K. Virgil School and other best instructors in vocal and instrumental music in New York.
DOWNTOWN PARADE AT THE CORNER OF EVANS AND DARGAN STREETS IN 1949. FW Woolworth Co. is near the northeast corner.City Hall tower and Trust Building may be seen in the skyline. Photo is from the McClenaghan High School Yearbook of 1950.
FRIENDLY DISAGREEMENT – Umpire Wylie Caldwell discusses call with player Buddy Thomas while catcher Stanley Flowers listens. The game was being played on the VFW ballfield at the old Royall School in the early 1960s. Photo courtesy of David C. Hewitt.
1943 CHAMPIONSHIP FLORENCE BASEBALL TEAM IS PICTURED AT THE OLD AMERICAN LEGION STADIUM ON OAKLAND AVE.
Florence Mayor Haskell Thomas, 1947-1951, buys the first Buddy Poppy of the season. Others with him are not identified. The red paper flowers were assembled by disabled and needy veterans, beginning in 1923, and sold annually before Memorial Day by members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars as a national fund-raising event. Buddy Poppies are still assembled by disabled and needy veterans in VA Hospitals.
INTERIOR OF PHILIP’S SHOE STORE ON WEST EVANS, CIRCA 1950. Man on left is unidentified, in center is Tootie Baroody and on right is Phil Nofal Sr. Photo courtesy of Joe Nofal and family.
EVELYN WOODBERRY AND TYPING CLASS AT WILSON HIGH SCHOOL, 1971
EAST EVANS STREET LOOKING EAST, CIRCA 1914
ONCE A STATELY HOME, the house at the corner of Pine and Dargan Streets is pictured in the 1950s. The house was next door to what is now Hamilton House Antiques. It was later demolished and Pee Dee Brace & Limb now occupies that corner.
SPRING BRANCH BAPTIST CHURCH AS IT LOOKED IN 1971 The congregation is celebrating its 168th anniversary this weekend. Look for details on page 2B
Miss Scarborough’s Senior Homeroom at McClenaghan High in 1949. First row, from left, Carolyn Hatchell, Joyce Ratliffe, Barbara Fields, Jane Orr, Betty Jean Seymour, Jo Ann Stone, Lucille Greene, Billie Nell Robertson; second row: Carolyn Hinds, Katherine Ann Revell, Jackie Pettigrew, Harriett McInnes, Joan Simpson, Tyler Hill, Hettie Roscoe, Laura Sue Mitchell; third row: Miss Scarborough, Thomas Amader, Leslie Ivey, Ted Morton, James McLeod, Bobby McLelland, Glen McLeod, Kimsey Wood, Sam, custodian, Charles McCown, Richard Powell, James McGee, John Odom, Andy Geddings and William McLeod
THE EAST EVANS STREET ENTRANCE TO McCOWN SMITH DEPARTMENT STORE, CIRCA 1950 The white building on the left is on the corner of Evans and Dargan Streets. Photo courtesy of Tom Kinard
The Flamingo Restaurant, located at 522 South Irby Street was opened by Gus Hondros in 1963. Andrew Kampiziones later joined him and ran the business until the property was purchased by Florence General Hospital in the mid 1980s. Photo courtesy of Helen Doulaveris.
POOLSIDE VIEW OF THE HOLIDAY INN ON PALMETTO STREET, CIRCA 1970
THE BEACON DRIVE-IN – Mitchell Chris Palles stands with his cousins visiting from New York in 1963. The Beacon, located on S. Irby Street, was owned and operated by Mr. Palles and his brother-in-law Pete Costas. It opened around 1952 and closed in 1968. Photo courtesy of the Aphrodite Palles.
FLORENCE COUNTY COURTHOUSE – This early 1900s postcard shows the first permanent courthouse for Florence County. It was located on N. Irby Street on property which is now a parking lot beside the Florence County Complex. The cornerstone for the courthouse was laid on Aug. 22, 1889, according to “Rise Up So Early, A History of Florence County,” by the late Dr. G. Wayne King.
THE NORTH ENTRANCE OF THE FLORENCE MALL IN 1991
KRESS STORE ON WEST EVANS STREET AFTER REMOVAL OF CONCRETE CANOPIES IN MID 1980s
ONE HUNDRED BLOCK OF EAST EVANS STREET, LOOKING EAST IN 1950s Photo courtesy of Tom Kinard
TIMMONSVILLE SCHOOL SYSTEM’S AGRICULTURE BUILDING, 1940s
Congressman John L. McMillan, standing, speaks in Florence, circa 1942. Seated is Mayor James R. Schipman. McMillan, a Democrat, was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1939 until 1973. He was born in Mullins and resided in Florence, representing the 6th Congressional District which included Florence at that time. Mayor Schipman was twice elected Mayor of Florence. He served from 1942-43 and 1951-1955.
GABLES MOTEL AND RESTAURANT ON SOUTH IRBY STREET AS PICTURED ON A 1960 POSTCARD
Florence City Hall and Opera House facing West Evans St. in 1929 is depicted on a 1929 postcard. Two fountains flank the entrance to City Hall and were later replaced with fish ponds. Peeping above the skyline on the left is the original Florence County Courthouse on N. Irby Street on property that now serves as a parking lot for the County Complex Building.
DOWNTOWN WEST EVANS AFTER SNOWFALL ON DEC. 23, 1989 Photo by Brenda Harrison
POSTCARD - Aerial view from RR tracks on North Irby looking South to First Baptist Church, top center. Postcard not dated, but it is prior to 1970s because old Florence Courthouse may be seen on left.
NORTH DARGAN STREET AT THE RAILROAD TRACKS, CIRCA 1960 Photo by the late Tom Kirkland
COUNTRY SINGER TEX RITTER poses with Slim Mims, center, and his Dream Ranch Boys in the WJMX Radio Studio in the 1950s. Mims’ radio program, Dream Ranch Jamboree, was a popular show in Florence. He and his band were also on television on WBTW in Florence and WNCT-TV in Greenville. Photo by the late photographer Ethel Grantham, courtesy of her family.
EAST EVANS STREET IN THE EARLY 1920s. Wrought iron fence on far left was in front of First Presbyterian Church. Central Hotel is the second building on the left, in the center of the photo, looking east toward S. Dargan Street. Photo courtesy of the late Tom Kirkland
THE FLORENCE MALL AS IT LOOKED IN 1960
THIS PICTURE POSTCARD SHOWS THE Y.M.C.A BUILDING WHICH WAS LOCATED IN NORTH FLORENCE OFF RAVENEL STREET NEAR THE RAILROAD DEPOT. CIRCA 1940S
NURSING STUDENTS on 4th Floor North in McLeod Infirmary in 1960. From left, Betty Thompson, Belinda Howle, unidentified LPN, Barbara Newman and Linda Norris. Photo courtesy of Belinda Howle Bonnoitt.
EAST EVANS STREET, 100 BLOCK, LOOKING EAST AROUND 1949 From left, Carolina Shoe Shop, Melvin Music Co., Kafer’s Bakery Photo courtesy of Tom Kinard
FIVE POINTS IN FLORENCE IN 1953
THE CENTRAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL IN 1918. (Later renamed Poynor and became a junior high school. Currently Poynor Adult Education. ) Principal was KR Schoenberg; teachers Mrs. R. Lee Brunson, Miss Nona Dudley, Miss Lillian Gentry, Miss Marie Gregory, Miss Carolina Hood, Miss Alva Hutcheson, Miss Marie Jones, Miss Louise Lancaster, Miss Lucie Miles, Miss Marguerite Murphy, Miss Margie Scarborough, Miss Georgie Stackley and Miss Linda Todd. Photo from the 1918-21 yearbook.
MCCLENAGHAN CHEERLEADERS FROM 1958 YEARBOOK – Clockwise from top center, Johnny Hussey, Winnie Bath, Geter Rhodes, Barbara Batts, Reginald Brown, Lillian Smith, Carolyn Pierce, Chief Cheerleader Johnny Holladay and Gay Zeigler.
Postcard picture of the World War monument that was behind the American Legion Post 1 home. The back of the card reads: Monument on the grounds of the public library in Florence, S.C., in honor of the soldiers and sailors from Florence who lost their lives in the World War, erected in 1928 by Fred H. Sexton Post No. 1 American Legion, under auspices of the American Legion Auxiliary. The monument is being restored to be moved to Florence Veterans Park.
FIRST GRADE CLASS – St. Anthony’s Parochial School first grade class, 1957, is pictured with Principal Sister Joan Marie. From left are Bobby Whitmer, Joey Trifiletti, Ray Richards, Pat Polson, David Hewitt, Chris Gasper, David Gardner, Alan Revel, Joann Wilson, Becky Campbell, Suzanne Holland, unidentified, and Debra Chrapek. The school was located downtown, off Irby Street. Photo courtesy of David Hewitt.
A CENTURY AGO – Weinona Landrum and daughter Marye Landrum Maybin, are pictured with friends (not identified) on the porch of a home on South Coit Street, circa, 1915. Mrs. Maybin, who turned 100 last year, now resides at Bethea Baptist Home. Her father, Dr. B.F. Landrum was an osteopathic physician who practiced in Florence. Photo courtesy of Mrs. Maybin.
FORMER FLORENCE LIBRARY READING ROOM AFTER IT WAS RE-DECORATED IN 1925
LARRY’S DISCOUNT STORE, 147 WEST EVANS STREET, AFTER DESTRUCTION FROM HURRICANE HUGO IN SEPTEMBER OF 1989.
Corner of Irby Street and West Evans Street, circa 1951. The Art Trail Gallery currently occupies this historic building constructed in 1905 for Hampton Lodge 204’s Masonic Temple. The original building had three stories with the lodge hall on the third floor. Farmer’s Mechanic Bank occupied the left front and was replaced by Palmetto Bank & Trust in 1915 when it purchased the Masonic Temple. During a renovation in 1950, the third floor was removed and Woolworth’s moved into the building in 1951. Photo courtesy of Tom Kinard.
WBTW TV in Florence (late 1950s or early 1960s). Jim Player, on left, others not identified. Photo courtesy Mary Stuart King.
THE McLEOD SCHOOL OF NURSING HOME IN 1958 – This facility was located on the northwest corner of Cheves and Dargan Street. The new Florence County Museum now occupies that corner.
THE FLORENCE AIR AND MISSILE MUSEUM was located on Highway 301 North where the entrance to the Florence Regional Airport is now. It opened in January 1964 and closed in December 1997 due to lack of funding.
FORMER GARDEN GATE RESTAURANT – This building was adjacent to the Florence Morning News office at 141 S. Irby Street. It was a buffet-style restaurant in the 1960s, then became a floor covering business and was later purchased by Central United Methodist Church and briefly used as a youth center. When this photo was taken in the mid 1990s, the building served as the Mission Mart Resale Shop for New Life Rescue Ministries (later renamed House of Hope of the Pee Dee.) It was eventually torn down to add more parking spaces for the church.
THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE 100 BLOCK OF WEST EVANS ST. AND DARGAN IN 1949 From left, The Holly Shop, Lerner Shops, Kress, a bank and the Kuker Building. Photo courtesy of Tom Kinard
ENGINE 1142 – Photo taken in Florence freight yard of Atlantic Coast Line RR about 1925. Engineer is Robert J. Whitton. His wife, Mary, is wearing dark broad-brim hat, fourth from right, Whitton’s brother-in-law, Tilden Alexander, yardmaster, is second from left in foreground. Others are unidentified. Photo courtesy of Charlie Howle.
This lovely home, pictured around 1930, was located on North Cashua Drive, on or near property where Carver Elementary School sits now. Built around the turn of the 20th century, the home belonged to Ernest and Frances Gregg and was the childhood home of their daughter Charlotte Gregg Jones. Photo courtesy of Dr. Webb Jones.
The school (facing Irby St.) was located beside the church at the corner of Irby and Palmetto Streets. The church burned in the early 1970s and was demolished along with the school. A new church and school was built on Hoffmeyer Road. If you look closely you can see Joe, John and George Jebaily. Photo courtesy of Sylvia Jebaily.
THE FOUNTAIN AT LUCAS PARK is pictured in springtime surrounded by pink azaleas. The park was developed in 1961 by Frank S. Key Sr. to be a place of beauty. The fountain, imported from Italy, was added around 1970. The fountain was later destroyed by vandals. Photo courtesy of Martha McGee.
Picture postcard looking west from Dargan St. in the mid to late 1920s.
NORTH DARGAN STREET IN THE 1980s
Pictured is the Marie Elmore home, built in 1931 on Jackson Ave. near LaFayette Circle. The home burned in 1940 and was rebuilt. This was one of the homes built in what is believed to be Florence’s first suburb. Photo courtesy of Peggy Key who lived next door to her aunt.
W. M. Waters, founder of Waters Furniture and Waters Funeral Home in 1893, built this home at the corner of Pine and 400 S. Dargan Street for his wife, Laulie Howle of Hartsville, whom he married in 1874. Every time a new baby arrived, a room was added to the house – eight rooms were added over the years. In 1938, Waters built a new home next door and this house was remodeled to become Waters Funeral Home. The house was demolished in 1963 for the construction of a new building which continues to operate in that location as Waters-Powell Funeral Home. Photo courtesy of Mrs. Joe Waters Jr.
Corner of Dargan and Evans Street in circa 1949. A celebration was held last Wednesday for the renovation of the three buildings on the right. Photo courtesy of Tom Kinard.
MARYE LANDRUM, left and her sister Beth, are pictured in this photo taken in Florence in 1915. Marye Landrum Maybin celebrated her 100th birthday on Nov. 12. See story on page 1B. Photo courtesy of Mrs. Maybin.
Julian H. Price, in back, leads a goat and cart around the Dargan St. neighborhood in 1938. Enjoying the ride are Dr. Smeyser’s children. Julian’s grandfather, T.B. Haynsworth, a local contractor, lived on S. Dargan. He owned the goat and cart which he kept behind Florence High School.
FLORENCE MALL DURING CHRISTMAS SEASON OF 1965
AERIAL VIEW OF THE CHRISTMAS PARADE IN 1959 OR 1960. TAKEN FROM THE TRUST BUILDING Photo by the late Tom Kirkland
COIT STREET, CIRCA 1916. Photo courtesy of Mrs. Mary Landrum Maybin
THIS PICTURE POSTCARD SHOWS THE CENTRAL HOTEL WHICH WAS LOCATED ON EAST EVANS ST. POSTCARD CIRCA 1895
THE CORNER of Dargan and Cheves Street, looking north, circa 1949. On the left is the old McLeod Nurses Home, the site of the new Florence County Museum. Further down on the west side of the Dargan is Waters Furniture Store. Photo courtesy of Tom Kinard.
Early 1900s on West Evans Street from east end looking west.
SARDIS HIGH SCHOOL – This is a file photo from Schools in Florence County 1935-50
ROY GRAHAM’S Sunday School Class, 1948, at First Baptist Church standing on the side of the former sanctuary facing Palmetto Street. Front row, from left, Jimmy Polk, Jerry Weaver, unknown, Edward Mattison, Alex Lattimer, Roy Graham. Back row, from left, Signeous ‘Siggy’ Brown, Sonny Huntley, Jerry Lee, Charles Bobo, Charles Bagnal (now retired general).
THE GAMBLE’S HOTEL, CIRCA 1860, was located near the railroad tracks along Front Street. Confederate forces pushed back a Union Cavalry near this site on March 5, 1865, and the confrontation became known as The Skirmish of Gamble’s Hotel.
Photo courtesy of the Florence County Museum.
EARLY HOSPITAL – The original McLeod Infirmary showing first, second, third, fourth and fifth annex on West Cheves Street in 1915. In February of 1935, a modern seven-story fireproof hospital replaced the old hospital with a bed capacity of 225. In 1979, the hospital moved to its current campus on East Cheves Street as McLeod Regional Medical Center.
ZEIGLER’S DRUG STORE – The interior of Zeigler’s Drug Store as it looked in the 1920s. The Drug Store was located on the northwest corner of West Evans Street and North Dargan Street.
NORTH DARGAN STREET IN THE 1980s
FIVE POINTS FILLING STATION – Photo taken between 1916 and 1920. Photo courtesy of Mrs. Frank Key Jr.
KRESS DIME STORE on West Evans Street after Hurricane Hugo’s visit in September of 1989. News Journal staff photo.
EAST EVANS STREET, Top, Looking East Toward The Railroad Tracks, And North Dargan Street Are Pictured In This 1914 Post Card
THE MCLEOD INFIRMARY AND NURSING HOME, CORNER OF CHEVES AND DARGAN STREETS IN 1958 The new Florence County Museum is now located on this corner. Photo courtesy of Belinda Howle Bonnoitt
MISS EMILY BROTHERS HOMEROOM II, 1949, McClenaghan High School. From left, first row: Jackie Jones, Crystalline Jordan, Mary Jane Jeffords, Katherine Gregg, Betty Godfrey, Louisa Lovelace, Margaret Hewitt, Mary Evelyn Haynie, Barbara Howle; second row: Hugh Barfield, Bobby Picirilli, Jackie Hodge, Pat Holland, Mary Ada Huggins, Sue Nell Lester, Evelea Hicks; third row: Miss Brothers, Jack Kaufmann, Vernon Harwell, Robert Earl James, Allen Jeffords, Bobby Gandy, Earl Jordan, David Colvin, Charlie Howle, Marion Kirven and Vance Loy. Photo courtesy Charlie Howle.
MRS. HACKETT’S GIRL SCOUT TROOP, 1965 – From left, bottom row, Claudia Young, Sloan Dargan, Rebecca Hackett, Sharon Ellis, Brenda Creel, Beth Young, Anne Malone, Patricia Whitaker; top row, Mrs. Hackett, Susan Shaw, Claire Carlson, Kit Spoonks, Margy Russell, Elaine Aiken, Linda Lawrence (Buzzard), Edi Guyton and Kathy Hite. Photo courtesy of Anne Malone.
Palmetto Market and Cold Storage 1921